Robert T. Henderson Endowment Fund Award
The family of Robert T. Henderson has created a permanent endowed fund to provide annual gifts of approximately $2,000 to a qualified graduate student of the Department of Linguistics, School of Arts and Sciences, or Department of Instruction and Learning, School of Education, University of Pittsburgh.
Each applicant must have a career commitment to the field of TESOL and be a declared candidate for, or already have received the certificate in TESOL from the Department. The purpose of the award is to provide financial support for expenditures demonstrated relevant to the degree and certificate program as well as to the applicant’s career plans. Such expenditures may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Expenses necessary for research
- Tuition supplements
- Professional books and materials
- Membership in professional organizations
- Attendance at pertinent meetings of professional organizations
Applicants for this award must submit the following by November 1:
- Evidence of enrollment in or graduation from the Department of Linguistics TESOL Certificate Program. An acceptance letter from the School of Arts and Sciences or University transcripts will provide this evidence.
- Statement of purpose of 2-4 pages which explains (a) the applicant’s commitment to the field of TESOL and (b) how the applicant plans to use the award.
- Budget of expenditures.
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty member highlighting the applicant’s academic work and commitment to the field.
Applications should be submitted to the Chair of The Robert T. Henderson Endowment Fund Awards Committee, at the following address:
2816 Cathedral of Learning
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Photos from Award Ceremonies
Nami Asanuma, 2016 winner, and the Henderson Family
Danielle Nicole Marsh, 2015 winner (not pictured)
Alexis Cherewka, Andrew Jeske and Noriyasu Harada Li; 2014 winners (not pictured)
Jaimie Minnicks and Hillary Schepps, 2013 winners, and the Henderson Family
Bill Price, 2012 winner, and the Henderson Family
Katherine I. Martin, 2011 winner, and the Henderson Family
Robert T. Henderson Endowment Book Grant
The R.T. Henderson Book Grant is awarded to new master's or doctoral students who commit to earning a TESOL Certificate or degree in the Department of Linguistics or have already earned a certificate or degree in TESOL elsewhere and intend to continue their studies or conduct research that informs TESOL-related theory or practice. Selected students are awarded $1000 to be used at the University of Pittsburgh Book Center over two terms to purchase books and materials necessary for classes, teaching, or to support research.
This grant is awarded by the Department of Linguistics faculty based on:
- academic merit (GPA, GRE scores, etc.);
- evidence of an ongoing commitment to the field of TESOL (volunteering, teaching, research);
- explicit indication in the statement of purpose of the student's intention to earn a TESOL Certificate or degree or to contribute to the field of TESOL through additional studies, research, or teaching.
Students do not need to apply. All eligible students will be considered during the admissions process.